testsuite fails only when called via make check

From: Pacey, Mike
Subject: testsuite fails only when called via make check
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 15:46:27 +0100

I'm currently trying to install autoconf-2.59 on my system
(sparc-sun-solaris2.8) and I'm seeing something odd with the testsuite.
When I run 'make check' from the top level install directory, I get
numerous testsuite failures culminating in:

Please send `testsuite.log' and all information you think might help:

   To: <address@hidden>
   Subject: [GNU Autoconf 2.59] testsuite: 45 51 52 56 58 60 63 66 68 69
70 71 73 76 84 88 92 100 106 108 109 110 115 121 130 139 140 142 146 150
151 152 158 166 171 176 failed

But when I cd into the tests directory and run ./testsuite, all tests
pass. At first I suspected a problem with make, but I've just upgraded
to gnu make 2.80 (which passes its own 'make check') and I'm still
seeing the same problem.

The testsuite.log file is a bit too convoluted to decipher. It shows
diagnostics for the failed tests, but some of it looks suspicious (e.g.
a failed compilation due to a line that reads "choke me" - looks like a
deliberate test to halt compilation rather than a genuine error?).

I'm not sure which diagnostic to trust - make check or running testsuite
directly from the shell. Anyone any suggestions on how best to proceed?

Thanks,
Mike.