Re: compiler dependencies type

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: compiler dependencies type
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 15:35:19 +0200

* bertold wrote on Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 07:39:59PM CEST:
> i have embedded compiler which found by configure like tru64
> dependencies type.

I presume this depmod style then fails later on, right?  Why and how?

> after reading from configure , i can't find how/when to add my compiler
> style.
>
> any suggestions? thank you

Several possibilities:
1) configure with --disable-dependency-tracking as a work around
2) if package specific, you could add the option no-dependencies to
automake's options (either in Makefile.am variable AUTOMAKE_OPTION
or in configure.ac invocation of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE()).
3) manually set depmode.  I don't know if this works.
4) show how and why the dependency mechanism fails.  The depcomp script
from Automake is responsible for handling the mechanisms in conjunction
with the am/compile.am Automake snippet.  Maybe your compiler is
sufficiently similar to one of the known dependency mechanisms so that
it can be adapted.  At least it should be adapted to recognize your
compiler's failure to fulfill tru64 dependency style.  That is, if your
compiler is of any wider public interest.

depcomp belongs to Automake, though, so this should be discussed on its
mailing list.

Regards,