Re: using getconf in autoconf macro to find 64 bit compile options?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: using getconf in autoconf macro to find 64 bit compile options?
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 01:22:28 -0600

Jeff Sheinberg wrote:
> Ed Hartnett writes:
>  > I wonder if there is any autoconf macro for running getconf to find
>  > the compile flags needed for 64-bit compilation on platforms that
>  > support it. For example, both the AIX and solaris platforms have
>  > special compile options to get 64 bit pointers.
>
> Here is what I am using in my configure.ac,
>
>     # Checks for library functions.
>     AC_FUNC_FSEEKO
>     AC_SYS_LARGEFILE
>     # /\ Prior 2 enables large file support.

Hmm...  I know that Ed's next message asks about large file support
and so I don't know and it is easy to get them confused but this
message is asking about compiling with 64-bit pointers.  The above
enables large file support but not 64-bit pointers.  Of course in
64-bit compilation mode you get large files too.

I think for 64-bit compilation on platforms that support both that it
is really better to let the user choose.  Most platforms that support
multiple architectures really do so without a good policy or plan
about where libraries go and such.  The user can quite easily choose
64-bit at configure time when it is desired.

Bob