Re: using getconf in autoconf macro to find 64 bit compile options?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: using getconf in autoconf macro to find 64 bit compile options?
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 11:50:47 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004, Ed Hartnett wrote:

I'm thinking perhaps I should have a option at configure enable-64bit
which will turn on 64-bit pointers on whatever architectures I can
figure out. So far I've got a good handle on solaris and AIX, but
that's just the tip of the iceberg!

You are entering treacherous waters! Icebergs are hiding in there! If you think that you have a good handle on solaris and AIX, then you probably don't. Behavior is compiler, compiler version, and OS-version specific. In addition to this, when the compiler is GCC, the user who built it may have configured it in in various ways. Maybe the compiler supports generating 64-bit code but some 64-bit libraries are missing. Maybe the compiler is capable of building perfectly good 64-bit programs, but the currently booted kernel only runs 32-bit programs. Maybe the user is cross-compiling.

If your autoconf macro is not really robust, then you may end up having many more questions/complaints from users than you already have.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden