Use of config.h

From: Dale Mellor
Subject: Use of config.h
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 10:58:11 +0100

Hello everybody,

   this is a follow-on from a message I posted to
address@hidden, and illuminates a similar problem to the
recent `how to prefix definitions in config.h' thread.

   I am writing a GNU package which provides a library for other GNU
packages. The problem is that then multiple config.h's start floating
around. Each config.h contains two types of macro: machine-specific
ones (e.g. the const macro) and project-specific ones (e.g. the
PACKAGE-STRING macro). I generate the config.h.in's exclusively using
autoheader, i.e. the config.h.in's are removed with `make
maintainer-clean' and are not hand-edited.

   It would be nice if the machine-specific macros were individually
guarded to prevent multiple definition when two config.h's are
present, and for the project-specific macros to be prefixed with the
package name so that they do not collide.

   Any thoughts on whether this might be implemented in autoheader
some day, or are there workarounds available?

/Dale