Re: AC_PROG_CC_C99

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: AC_PROG_CC_C99
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 14:01:59 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

Paul Eggert wrote:

Can you test Autoconf with 'gcc -std=c99 -pedantic-errors -Werror'?
That might catch some of the problems we're worried about.

I don't currently use C99-isms in my projects, because I didn't have a clean way to test for compatibility in my distributions. That's why I'm glad to see this macro (and related changes) moving ahead, so I can feel free to start using C99 features without worry (other than users may be forced to upgrade their systems to support C99 if they have old compilers, but at least they'll know at configure time).

Please take care. The notion that "Users may be forced to upgrade their systems to support C99" makes it sound like this is a trivial task. This is not always possible, and even if GCC supports a particular system, the user may not be personally capable of updating GCC or installing GCC from scratch.

A substantial percentage of the current computing base does not yet have a C99-capable compiler installed.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden