Re: AC_PROG_SED selecting correct sed for config.status

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: AC_PROG_SED selecting correct sed for config.status
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 16:55:48 +0100

Hello,

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 09:39:18AM -0600, Albert Chin wrote:
> Is there a reason autoconf doesn't use AC_PROG_SED internally to
> select a more-appropriate sed command to use in config.status?
>
> Could we just AC_REQUIRE(AC_PROG_SED) in _AC_OUTPUT_CONFIG_STATUS and
> then use $SED throughout generation of config.status?

I guess we could.  The price would be that the configure script would
be bigger.

It's not just _AC_OUTPUT_CONFIG_STATUS which uses ``sed'', there are more
macros.

Have you encountered any problem on a particular platform?
Perhaps we should solve actual problems, not replace all occurences of
``sed''.

Have a nice year,
        Stepan Kasal