Re: AC_PROG_SED selecting correct sed for config.status

From: Albert Chin
Subject: Re: AC_PROG_SED selecting correct sed for config.status
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 11:28:37 -0600

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 05:40:53PM +0100, Stepan Kasal wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 10:21:09AM -0600, Albert Chin wrote:
> > > Have you encountered any problem on a particular platform?
> >
> > Yes. When building kdevelop from kde-3.3.2 on Solaris 2.6, 7,
> > substitions in Makefile.in's with long lines gets truncated resulting
> > in a dead build.
>
> OK, so this means that the problem should be solved.

Yep. I cannot AC_REQUIRE([AC_PROG_SED]) in a m4_define'd macro. So,
should I add:
  AC_DEFUN([AC_OUTPUT],
  [AC_REQUIRE([AC_PROG_SED])dnl
  _AC_OUTPUT($@)])
and change:
  m4_define([AC_OUTPUT],
to:
  m4_define([_AC_OUTPUT],

or change:
  m4_define([AC_OUTPUT],
  [dnl Dispatch the extra arguments to their native macros.
to:
  AC_DEFUN([AC_OUTPUT],
  [AC_REQUIRE([AC_PROG_SED])dnl
  dnl Dispatch the extra arguments to their native macros.

> But perhaps I'm wrong and it's simpler to replace all occurences of
> sed, (taking care of the beginning of the configure script, of
> course).

I like consistency. However, there are only two cases of sed that need
to be replaced to fix the problem.

--
albert chin (address@hidden)