Re: checking for specific versions of operating system

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: checking for specific versions of operating system
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 16:51:50 +0200

Hi Simon, Baurzhan,

* Baurzhan Ismagulov wrote on Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 04:21:11PM CEST:
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 11:47:21AM +0100, Simon Morgan wrote:
> > Versions of FreeBSD >= 5.3 no longer link with -lkse and require
> > -lpthread instead.
>
> Trying -lpthread, if not available, trying -lkse?

I'd try to get the ACX_PTHREAD macro from the autoconf archive and
work with that.  Any of its shortcomings should be discussed with
its maintainer (or on this list, FWIW) and incorporated into an
improved version of the macro.  That way, others can profit, too
(both those that use the improved macro, as well as those that will
eventually try to compile your package and don't have to hack around
to get it to work with their threads support).

Another general note: it's generally a bad idea to test for operating
system versions.  info Autoconf "Why Not Imake" has reasons.