Re: AW: prefix

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: AW: prefix
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 13:54:01 +0000

On Thursday 01 December 2005 6:40 am, Roesner Thomas wrote:
> thank you for the replie, "make DESTDIR=`pwd` install" works fine, but i´d
> like to omit the naming of the installpath in all commands. I´d prefer
> setting it within the configure.in or Makefile.am.

You _could_ just say `prefix=""', in configure.in -- today, you should really
be using configure.ac, with autoconf 2.59 -- just before the AC_OUTPUT.

However, you really should not do this, as it completely breaks the standard
behaviour of the entire autotools system -- you are _supposed_ to use
configure's `--prefix=' option, to achieve what you are trying to do, while
still giving other users of your package the flexibility to do it as they
prefer.

Regards,
Keith.