Re: Using autoconf with my project

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Using autoconf with my project
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 09:30:19 -0700

Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray wrote:
> I am working on a project (GNU Songanizer) that is basically a shell script.
> It does not need stdlib.h, string.h, memory.h or any other .h file to run.
> However my configure script keeps checking about the existence of these
> files. Obviously I have not written the configure.ac properly. Can anyone
> help me? Following is my configure.ac.

What version of autoconf are you using?  I am doing something similar
and do not see the behavior you are seeing.  I am using 2.59.

> AC_INIT([GNU Songanizer],[1.0],address@hidden,[songanizer-1.0])
> AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR([./config])
> AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR([./bin/songanizer])
> AC_CHECK_PROG([found],[mp3info],[yes],[no])
> if test "$found" = no ; then
>     echo "The mp3info package should be installed. See README for details"
>     exit 1
> fi
> AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
>
> ALL_LINGUAS="de fr es ko nl no pl pt sl sv"
>
> AM_GNU_GETTEXT
> AC_OUTPUT([Makefile bin/Makefile doc/Makefile])

I have a file:

  AC_INIT([myprog],[0.1])
  AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([-Wall])
  AC_CONFIG_FILES([Makefile])
  AC_OUTPUT

I see only this:

  checking for gawk... gawk
  configure: creating ./config.status
  config.status: creating Makefile

Looking at your config file I suggest you convert from the old
AC_OUTPUT with arguments to the newer AC_CONFIG_FILES + AC_OUTPUT.
Also I suggest adding -Wall to the AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE options.

Bob