Re: which shell is running configure?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: which shell is running configure?
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 11:19:14 +0200

Hello Sam,

* Sam Steingold wrote on Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 06:17:40PM CEST:
> I encountered the following problem:
> an autoconf test that checks whether `test' supports `-nt' passes,
> but when make tries to use "test -nt" in Makefile, it fails.
> this appeared to suggest that configure and make were using different
> shells, and, indeed, I found some code in configure which appears to
> re-run it with bash:

This part of the problem has been addressed already.  For your original
problem, you could try to simply use 'ls -t' instead of 'test -nt',
which is presumably more portable.

If you happen to use Automake, its macro AM_SANITY_CHECK, see
automake/m4/sanity.m4, will check for working 'ls -t' anyway,
and abort configure if it seems to not function properly.