questions about AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR

From: Stefan Seefeld
Subject: questions about AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 10:50:40 -0400

I have just read about AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR as a means to
specify additional places to look for M4 macros.

I notice that the generated configure script still
contains traces of that macro, notably, a check for
the directory that was given as argument.

What is the purpose of this ? Since macro lookup
and expansion happens during calls to aclocal, autoconf,
etc., there shouldn't be any need for the generated
configure script to care, or should it ?

What am I missing ?

(The reason I'm asking is that, while the machine where
I run autoconf does have said directory, but the machine
where I actually configure and build the package doesn't,
and so configure bails out.)

Thanks,
                Stefan