Re: questions about AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR

From: Stefan Seefeld
Subject: Re: questions about AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 13:42:41 -0400

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

> I guess Autoconf needs to either update the documentation to mention
> that AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR is not supposed for packages that do not
> intend to ship macro files, or remove the test for the existence of
> the directory.  Not sure as to which fits better, as I'm not sure
> whether the former would be intended.

Yes, please enhance the documentation ! In fact, the documentation
starts with "In future..." but doesn't talk about what the macro does
at present. And yes, bailing out in configure's execution if the directory
isn't present, but then never touch the directory again, isn't contributing
to clarify anything either. :-)

Thanks,
                Stefan