Re: proposal - command-line option checking

From: Benoit Sigoure
Subject: Re: proposal - command-line option checking
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 07:50:46 +0100

Quoting Paul Eggert <address@hidden>:

"Steven G. Johnson" <address@hidden> writes:

   * Autoconf configure scripts should check their --with and --enable
arguments, and exit with an error if the option was not specified in
an AC_ARG_ENABLE or AC_ARG_WITH statement

That would run afoul of the GNU coding standards, no?  See
<http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Configuration.html#Configuration>.
So if you want this to change for Autoconf, probably the first step is
to get the GNU coding standards changed.

Alright I understand, however I still think that Steven's idea is good and I've also been bitten by wrong configure options being silently ignored, so would it
make sense to add a macro such as AC_ENABLE_STRICT_OPTION_CHECKING or whatever
that would enable the behavior described by Steven (although it slightly
conflicts with the GNU CS)? I'd definitely use such a macro everywhere I can.

--
SIGOURE Benoit aka Tsuna
  _____