Re: proposal - command-line option checking

From: Steven G. Johnson
Subject: Re: proposal - command-line option checking
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 14:58:55 -0500

Matthew Woehlke wrote:
If we use something other than --enable/--disable, then package trees
that are built with different Autoconf versions suffer.

Aw, nuts. You do have a good point there. In that case, the only obvious solution is to have two '--enable's; 'check-options' and 'check-options-fatal' (as possible examples). Or use the original "inconsistent" syntax. Hard to say. I'm just pointing out observations, don't feel obligated to listen to them. :-)

How about:
   --enable-option-checking  (the default, produces a warning)
   --enable-option-checking=fatal   (produces error)
   --disable-option-checking  (disables warnings/errors)
   AC_DISABLE_OPTION_CHECKING (makes "disable" the default)

And AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS should imply AC_DISABLE_OPTION_CHECKING and automatically add --disable-option-checking to recursive configure invocations.

I also agree that the warnings should be printed twice, ideally -- both immediately, when the arguments are parsed, and again at the end of the configure output (to make them more obvious to the user).

Steven