RE: Writing New Macros

From: Benoit Sigoure
Subject: RE: Writing New Macros
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 07:31:17 +0200

Quoting Eric Lemings <address@hidden>:
Quoting Eric Blake <address@hidden>:
undocumented _AC_COMPUTE_INT, particularly when the newly documented
AC_COMPUTE_INT uses different parameters, whereas if users had left
_AC_COMPUTE_INT alone or begged much earlier to make it a public
interface, this could have been a non-issue.

Too bad I'm stuck with Autoconf 2.59.  It only has the internal
_AC_COMPUTE_INT macro.  Otherwise, I would be using the public
AC_COMPUTE_INT version!

What's wrong with this?  You simply have to use the public version of
AC_COMPUTE_INT and bootstrap your project with Autoconf >2.59, and that'll
work.  Your users don't need Autoconf to install your package, so they won't
see the difference anyway.

That's the whole point of Autoconf, once it's bootstrapped, it's standalone and
portable.  However, you, as a maintainer of your package, are expected to use
tools that are up-to-date.

--
Benoit Sigoure aka Tsuna
EPITA Research and Development Laboratory