RE: Writing New Macros

From: Keith MARSHALL
Subject: RE: Writing New Macros
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 09:38:58 +0100

Benoit Sigoure wrote:
> However, you, as a maintainer of your package, are expected to
> use tools that are up-to-date.

Sorry, but with respect, that's complete balderdash!

As maintainer of *my* package, I will use whatever tools are most
appropriate for my needs; that may not be the latest, (which is not
necessarily the greatest), version of any tool.

Remember a recent thread here, which pointed out how autoconf-2.61
actually broke it's own AC_LINK_IFELSE test, under some circumstances
when running the generated configure scripts under MSYS?  Since that's
a platform I actually care about developing on, I'm not about to rush
out and deploy autoconf-2.61.  Even autoconf-2.60 introduces features
I don't care for.  Autoconf-2.59 suits my requirements admirably, so
I shall stick with it, for the time being.

Regards,
Keith.