Re: conversion to git

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Re: conversion to git
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 07:08:46 +0200

On Thu, 2007-09-20 at 17:16 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius <address@hidden> writes:
> > On Thu, 2007-09-20 at 00:04 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

> > True, but do you feel subversion is progress?
>
> Absolutely.  Significant progress.
Well my experiences with SVN are different. Esp. GCC having switched to
SVN is close to having had disasterous impact on my work.

>  It's been a major improvement in
> efficiency, usability,
These points are those which I do not agree upon from a user
perspective.

Branching, diffing, grep'ing, etc. inside of check-outs and check-out
sizes is where if find SVN has regressed in comparison to CVS.

The only features SVN provides I found useful, which are missing in CVS,
is it allowing moving/renaming files.

Anyway, this is off-topic for this list, so let's stop here. We'll see
if this sudden move to git, proves sustainability (I don't have any
experiences with git - But having not been able to avoid hg/mercurial in
recent past, I came to the conclusion that hg's usability is not in a
shape to be wanting it for public use.)