Re: Howto: run the C preprocessor and capture its output

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: Howto: run the C preprocessor and capture its output
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 16:33:38 +0000 (UTC)

According to Zack Weinberg on 10/19/2007 8:45 AM:

> Really?  As far as I can tell, that just lets me make a binary
> decision based on the presence or absence of some pattern; the text
> matching the pattern still gets bitbucketed.

You can use AC_RUN_IFELSE to covert preprocessor macros into text.  Or, if
you are computing a number and worried about cross-compilations, you can
use up to 32 invocations of AC_EGREP_CPP to build a 32-bit number using
binary decisions.  In fact, that's what AC_COMPUTE_INT does.

So maybe AC_COMPUTE_INT is what you want.

--
Eric Blake