Concerns about the cross-tools detection change.

From: Brooks Moses
Subject: Concerns about the cross-tools detection change.
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 13:02:18 -0700

Hello!

We recently tried building one of our libraries for the Cell processor on a cross-compile setup using autoconf 2.61, and got the following warning:

--------------------
checking for powerpc-ibm-linux-gnu-ppu-gcc... no
checking for powerpc-ibm-linux-gnu-ppuxlc... no
checking for ppu-gcc... ppu-gcc
configure: WARNING: In the future, Autoconf will not detect cross-tools
whose name does not start with the host triplet.  If you think this
configuration is useful to you, please write to address@hidden

Thus, I am following directions and sending this email.

This proposed change is a signficant problem with regards to systems like IBM's Cell SDK, where a vendor supplies cross-compilers with names that clearly denote the fact that they are not native compilers, yet happen not to conform to the GNU host-triplet prefixes.

This is particularly annoying with regards to the AC_PROG_CC([ppu-gcc ppuxlc]) form of the directive. According to the documentation, what that means is that autoconf should select a compiler from the list I have given it. When I tell the system explicitly what compilers I wish to use, it seems to me that it should follow the documentation and do what I say; it should not disregard my clear wishes and insist on doing a misguided version of what it thinks I mean instead.

Also, from what I can see, there is no fully functional workaround. The only documented one I have found is to create symlinks from powerpc-ibm-linux-gnu-ppu-gcc to ppu-gcc in /usr/local/bin. This might be workable for a proprietary library that is built on the programmer's machine and only distributed in binary form; however, for our case where we provide GPL-licensed source to our users to enable them to build the library for themselves, this adds another (entirely pointless) step which we will have to explain to our users.

Thus, we would very strongly ask that this proposed change _only_ apply to the form of AC_PROG_CC with an implicit list of compilers (if it is indeed implemented at all), and that the form of AC_PROG_CC with an explicit list of compilers continue to act as documented in the manual, and select compilers from the list that has been supplied, in the form that they are given.

If that is not possible, I would like to know of a workaround that (a) provides all of the functionality of AC_PROG_CC, (b) will select from multiple options, and (c) does not require extra steps for our users.

Thank you,
- Brooks