Re: Autoconf and Automake support for ObjC++

From: Peter Breitenlohner
Subject: Re: Autoconf and Automake support for ObjC++
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 08:46:55 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009, Eric Blake wrote:

Seconded, especially since autoconf already has ObjC and C++ support, so
you have two similar languages to borrow from.

Hi Eric,

attached is a patch implementing autoconf support for ObjC++.  As expected
this was extremely straightforward and only marginally intrusive.

The only somewhat problematic aspect is the list of potential ObjC++
compilers -- pure guesswork from my side.

There are no tests for ObjC, thus none for ObjC++ either.  I think
eventually some such tests should be added.

I'm under a lot of pressure to get 2.64 out this week before I go on a two
week vacation.  I'm sorry to say it, but that probably means ObjC++
support will have to wait for 2.65.

Maybe the patch is still in time for 2.64.  That would be very helpful for
the Automake part of all that.  Attempting to implement automake support for
ObjC++ without a released autoconf version providing the basics would be
rather awkward.

Regards
Peter