Re: how to test HAVE_MALLOC

From: Steffen Dettmer
Subject: Re: how to test HAVE_MALLOC
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 20:38:29 +0100

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 7:28 PM, <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Feb 2010, j.wuttke wrote:
>
>> A user of my software package reported that compilation on
>> a virtual Linux machine running on his Mac failed because
>> '::malloc' was not declared.
>>
>> We then found that AC_FUNC_MALLOC actually produced a 'no'
>> in the ./configure output.
>>
>> This is not what I expected, and definitely not what I need.
>> If there is no malloc on a box, I do not want my users do

I assume that all C libraries for virtual Linux machines have
malloc(), so I think the AC_FUNC_MALLOC check failed. Do you find
helpful information in config.log?

> What system does not have malloc()? It seems very odd to want
> to test for it.

There are embedded systems that have no malloc() and friends.
Depending on test results, it could be that there are similar
functions with different names, own implementations must be
provided and used - or dynamic memory cannot be used at all...

oki,

Steffen