Re: Best practices to detect autoconf version in macro.

From: Richard Ash
Subject: Re: Best practices to detect autoconf version in macro.
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 16:05:32 +0100

On Tue, 2010-03-30 at 08:41 -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
> Read this thread for another person who attempted this feat for PHP, and
> later gave up, because the changes from 2.13 to 2.50 were so dramatic.
> He ended up instead keeping old PHP on the old autoconf, and starting
> from scratch with newer autoconf on the next new version of PHP.
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf/2009-11/msg00076.html

In other words, consider two macros with the same interface, obviously
related names (like append _old and _26) and completely separate
implementations, which can be used as required. I can't imagine that
there are many configure scripts that will process with a 10-year old
version of autoconf _and_ the current version without issues, so why
does your macro need to do so?

Richard