Re: Best practices to detect autoconf version in macro.

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Best practices to detect autoconf version in macro.
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 20:05:33 +0200

Hello Konstantin,

* Ralf Corsepius wrote on Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 03:48:40PM CEST:
> On 03/30/2010 11:13 AM, Konstantin Andreev wrote:
> >I need to write a macro, which will be expanded by various versions of
> >autoconf, including 2.13 :(

> >Could you advice, what is the best way to detect in macro, which
> >autoconf version is currently expanding, and expand macro conditionally ?

> My advice would be to abandon your plan. It's not useful.

Ralf is right.  Still, let's turn this a bit more constructive: Try to
abandon all old Autoconf and Automake (if you use both).  Go through
the NEWS files of each of the two packages, take notes for
incompatible changes (looking up newer constructs in the manual as you
go along).  Go through your build system and adjust.

If you then have trouble with getting the result working, feel free to
post here what you have, and we will likely be able to help.