Re: AC_CHECK_LIB not finding my library

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: AC_CHECK_LIB not finding my library
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 10:22:39 +0200

Eric Blake wrote:
> On 04/19/2010 10:00 AM, Joel J. Adamson wrote:
>>     > Does this portion of the manual already contain enough hints in
>>     > that direction?  If not, are you willing to help provide some
>>     > wording to add to the manual?
>>     > http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf.html#Debugging
>>
>> Hi, I downloaded the manual from CVS to make a patch with my wording of
>> the solution to my problem, but can't find the "Debugging configure
>> scripts" subsection of the FAQ in autoconf.texi[1], even after updating
>> all the menus.  Is this section gone in CVS?
>
> Rather, CVS is waaay outdated, and is no longer the canonical
> repository.  We use git now:
>
> https://savannah.gnu.org/git/?group=autoconf
>
>>  Should I submit a patch
>> for my installed version[2]?
>
> Better would be to rebase your patch against git.
>
> Meanwhile, Jim might be able to help us further clamp down the old CVS
> repository so that others are less likely to make that mistake in the
> future.

Hi Eric,

Yes, that would be good to do.
You (as an autoconf administrator) can help on that front
by deactivating the "cvs" feature, if it's not already done

  https://savannah.gnu.org/project/admin/editgroupfeatures.php?group=autoconf

(I still see "Use CVS" on the "Source Code" menu, here
  https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/autoconf)

But that doesn't help people with already-checked-out sources,
so I've taken the liberty of cvs-removing all files and creating
one new one, README-use-git, with this content:

  This repository is no longer in use; please use the git repository:
    http://git.sv.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=autoconf.git

Thus, anyone who runs cvs update on an old repo will learn that
the canonical sources are no longer in that CVS repository.