Re: configure -C by default?

From: Vincent Torri
Subject: Re: configure -C by default?
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 19:37:57 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 7 Feb 2011, Eric Blake wrote:

On 02/06/2011 03:11 PM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
Apparently, a lot of users do not even know about configure -C aka.
--config-cache which of course doesn't help Autoconf's reputation about
producing configure scripts which are slow even for development.

So one question would be what about making -C the default?
We could have --force or --no-cache to turn it off.

I prefer to keep it off by default, but wouldn't mind advertising that
(when used correctly) it does provide great speedups within a single
project.

I was at FOSDEM and i indeed didn't know that option before Ralf's talk. About using it correctly, is there some doc or tutorial about its usage ?

Personally, I use it all the time.  It makes a HUGE difference for
cygwin, but even on Linux, it is a noticeable speed improvement.

I use MSYS a lot, so if it can speed up configure time, it would help me a lot

thank you

Vincent Torri

 And
yes, stale caches are still very much a real issue - cross-package
caches are too dangerous, and I have run into issues where stale caches
bite me (for example, if gnulib enhances a configure test that marks a
platform's function as non-compliant where it used to be compliant);
I've gotten into the habit of nuking config.cache any time I update
gnulib as a result.

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-801-349-2682