Re: how do distribute automake free code?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: how do distribute automake free code?
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 21:43:58 +0200

* Eric Blake wrote on Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 01:26:18AM CEST:
> On 06/20/2011 05:13 PM, Jim Edwards wrote:
> >   As for writing to the automake list instead of the
> > autoconf list - wouldn't it make more sense to have a autotools list since
> > they are all interrelated anyway?
>
> Perhaps merging the 'libtool', 'automake', and 'autoconf' lists into a
> new 'autotools' list might make sense (keeping the old names as aliases
> to the new list), where it would consolidate general usage questions
> about any of the three tools into a single location.  It would need
> consensus from the three projects; would you care to raise that as a new
> thread cross-posted to the appropriate lists?  For precedence, we
> already have a shared 'autotools-announce' list.  I'm probably 60-40 in
> favor of doing a list consolidation along those terms.

Well.  Regulars read all lists anyway, but may filter based on the
lists (I would do that esp. when doing a mail pass before a release).
For newcomers which don't know what is what it may be helpful too
(except that if we ignore the occasional post to the wrong list, it
probably makes no difference to them).  Regulars which are not
interested in all three tools are affected the most, when they have
to get the traffic they are not interested in.

> However, 'bug-libtool', 'bug-automake', 'bug-autoconf', as well as
> 'libtool-patches', 'automake-patches', and 'autoconf-patches', should
> all remain separate lists (they really are three different projects, and
> patches to one don't always affect the other).  And since we'll still be
> stuck with redirecting bug reports, what's the harm in redirecting usage
> questions rather than consolidating the usage aliases into one list?
> Most of the active developers already hang out on all three lists, so
> it's not that likely that misdirected mail is completely lost.

I simply don't tell newcomers any more to post to the other list; just
that the other list would've been better.  If they don't find out which
one is right, I'm not going to keep telling them, and might just ignore
it.