Re: uint64_t fails with C++

From: Peter Rosin
Subject: Re: uint64_t fails with C++
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 21:37:29 +0100

Werner LEMBERG skrev 2011-12-07 21:08:
>>> I still don't understand the details of the autoconf problem (and I
>>> still think that something is fishy), but defining this macro works
>>> just fine :-)
>>
>> Clearly, depending on an implementation-dependent macro is not
>> suitable for portable software.
>
> So please tell me how to solve this properly with autoconf.

My guess is that both "gcc test.c" and "g++ test.c" defines
__STDC_LIMIT_MACROS, while neither "g++ test.cpp" nor "gcc test.cpp"
does so (or whatever your preferred spelling of .cpp is).

I.e. both gcc and g++ behaves differently depending on the file
extension. The autoconf feature tests presumably uses a .c extension
and gets __STDC_LIMIT_MACROS defined, while your project uses
one of the C++ extensions (.cpp, .C, .cc, or something) and don't
get it defined.

If the above guesswork holds, then I wonder why your project uses
C++ file extensions and $CC (your said it was a C file). It should
be either C file extensions and $CC, or C++ file extensions and
$CXX. Or?

If the above guessing doesn't hold, then please ignore me...

Cheers,
Peter