Re: modernizing xdvi

From: Peter Breitenlohner
Subject: Re: modernizing xdvi
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 10:12:14 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012, James K. Lowden wrote:

I thought I'd update the autoconf setup for xdiv to make it work on
OS X.  I did what I thought was needed, and managed to generate a
non-working configure script.  Where did I go wrong?

Original tarball: http://math.berkeley.edu/~vojta/xdvi/xdvi-22.85.tar.gz
Modified sources: http://www.schemamania.org/xdvi-22.85/

Full output of "nohup sh -x ../configure > log" is in
        http://www.schemamania.org/xdvi-22.85/build/log

Changes so far:

rename configure.in to configure.ac
rename Makefile.in to Makefile.am
rename aclocal.m4 to acinclude.m4
remove acinclude.h
update configure.ac, Makefile.am, and acinclude.h (diff below)
run aclocal, autoreconf, autoconf, and automake

Why not use xdvik which is part of the TeX Live distribution (the current
version is 22.16 with latest xdvi changes from May 2009, i..e, newer than
22.85 from Paul Vojta), or at least use that as a guide how to proceed?

$ (autoconf --version; automake --version) |  grep ^auto
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.61
automake (GNU automake) 1.10

IMHO it makes no sense to base new work on such ancient versions.

Regards
Peter Breitenlohner <address@hidden>