Re: How can I enable option-checking from configure.ac after it being de

From: Hans-Peter Nilsson
Subject: Re: How can I enable option-checking from configure.ac after it being default-disabled?
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 16:48:46 +0100

> From: Eric Blake <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 16:16:46 +0100

> Any expansion of this macro that is executed in place will be skipped at
> configure time;

(As intended.)

> but some macro expansions have side effects that may
> cause execution in other places of configure.

I see.

> >>   m4_pushdef([AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS], [])
> >>   AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS([test/installtest])
> >>   m4_popdef([AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS])
> > But is this considered a cleaner way than getting that effect
> > through the never-executed idiom I used above?
>
> It _is_ cleaner to disable things earlier in the code generation cycle.

Ok, thanks!

> > And more importantly, will your idiom have the desired effect:
> > not disable option-checking by default?  (The answer may be
> > obvious to you autoconfers.)

Silly me for not just testing; it does, thanks.

> Meta-question: Why are you disabling option-checking in the first place?

Missing a negation?

>  It's contrary to GNU Coding Standards

(JFTR: I don't see support for that statement at
<http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/>, just an incidental
observation.)

> (the ability to disable option
> checking is provided for non-GNU packages, but doesn't get as much
> testing because GNU packages shouldn't be using it in the first place).

But I don't *want* to disable option-checking,
that's just what happens when I have AC_CONFIG_SUBDIR!

If I could, I'd explicitly enable it; the point of this request!

brgds, H-P