Re: autoconf/automake: handling the installation of desktop files / icon

From: Nate Bargmann
Subject: Re: autoconf/automake: handling the installation of desktop files / icons
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 17:58:40 -0500

I think you're going above and beyond the call of duty.  ;-)

However, IMO, it's impossible to account for all the various packaging
schemes at the source distribution level.  In the project I work with,
the source tarball installs to "standard" directories under /usr/local.
After that it is up to the package maintainer of a given distribution to
customize the installation for their binary package management.
Otherwise I think one will go insane or at least set themselves up for a
lot of extra, thankless work trying to chase even the most popular
packaging formats.

YMMV,

- Nate >>