Cross Compilation for Intel MIC

From: Jonathan Perkins
Subject: Cross Compilation for Intel MIC
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 11:44:41 -0400

Hi all:
I hope that I'm posting on the right place.  Please point me in the
right direction if this is not.

I'm working with software which uses autoconf as part of its build
system.  Currently we're working with emerging hardware (Intel MIC) that
is based on x86_64 but the executables will not run on the plain x86_64
build system.

To get configure to work we've forced it to cross compile using the
following...

    ./configure --host=blackfin ...

This works reasonably well but I wonder if there is a better and more
direct way.  The first thing that comes to mind is to be able to specify

    ./configure --host=mic

instead.  This should behave similarly with the hopeful addition of
adding the correct options to the compiler used (currently we use icc
-mmic).

So the question, has this sort of thing been done previously?  If not,
what would be the proper way forward.  I've read in a paper that an arch
can be added to config.sub but I'm not sure of what all this entails.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

--
Jonathan Perkins
http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~perkinjo