configuring with non-standard location of gcc

From: Maynard Johnson
Subject: configuring with non-standard location of gcc
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 10:37:17 -0500

Hi,
I'm working on a project that uses autoconf/automake.  Currently, the
configure.in defined for this project has a "--with-gcc" option that was added
back in 2005 to allow specifying the location of the compiler to use.  I'm
doing some cleanup of our configure script and have found that this option
simply doesn't work since our use of AC_PROG_CC is being executed prior to the
"--with-gcc" option, even though the configure.in has the "--with-gcc" option
first.  In my investigation of this issue, it seems to me that the "--with-gcc"
option is not a valid method for setting CC, and that users should pass
"CC=blah" to ./configure instead.  Is that correct?

Thanks.
-Maynard