Future autoconf package compression

From: Marko Lindqvist
Subject: Future autoconf package compression
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 10:16:06 +0200

On 2 March 2012 06:45, Eric Blake <address@hidden> wrote:

> The Autoconf team is considering releasing only .xz files for 2.69; if
> this would be a hardship for you, and you need the .gz or .bz2 release,
> please speak up now.

 I just encountered new argument for providing .gz of autoconf also in
the future.

 I were updating automake version used in OpenEmbedded, and though to
switch from tar.gz to tar.xz package while at it. That failed because
of circular dependency. In short: building xz decompressor requires
automake.

 - ML