Re: Future autoconf package compression

From: Marko Lindqvist
Subject: Re: Future autoconf package compression
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 11:43:30 +0200

On 24 November 2012 10:58, Stefano Lattarini
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On 11/24/2012 09:16 AM, Marko Lindqvist wrote:
>> On 2 March 2012 06:45, Eric Blake <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> The Autoconf team is considering releasing only .xz files for 2.69; if
>>> this would be a hardship for you, and you need the .gz or .bz2 release,
>>> please speak up now.
>>
>>  I just encountered new argument for providing .gz of autoconf also in
>> the future.
>>
>>  I were updating automake version used in OpenEmbedded, and though to
>> switch from tar.gz to tar.xz package while at it. That failed because
>> of circular dependency. In short: building xz decompressor requires
>> automake.
>>
> If that is true, it must be a bug in the xz packaging process -- once
> you have the distributed xz tarball, you shouldn't need the autotools
> to configure and build xz from it.  I think you should:
>
>  - verify the problem you're seeing is real (it seems suspicious nobody
>    else has spotted it so far);
>
>  - if it is, report it to the xz developers.

 The problem certainly is in how OpenEmbedded handles the build. Its
metadata has the xz -> autotools dependency.

 I've sent email to OpenEmbedded list too about the problem, but I
don't know how hard it would be to get rid of that dependency.
Obviously there's no such dependency problem with tar.gz autotools
packages and gzip.

 - ML