Re: Autoconf Digest, Vol 108, Issue 12

From: David A. Wheeler
Subject: Re: Autoconf Digest, Vol 108, Issue 12
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 20:33:56 -0400 (EDT)

> Bob Rossi <address@hidden> writes:
> > I'm creating a new project and using autotools. I've done this
> > before, but for some reason this time I've noticed how many files
> > autotools creates. It totally pollutes the top level of my project.

You might try putting this in your configure.ac:
AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR([build-aux])
AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([m4])

And this in Makefile.am (presuming you use automake):
ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS = -I m4 --install

In some versions of the autotools, "autoreconf -i" won't work as-is.  In my
setup, to work around:
     touch m4/NOTES
     git add m4/NOTES
Then add to Makefile.am (to force redistribution):
     EXTRA_DIST = m4/NOTES

A little explanation on *why* here:
 http://www.dwheeler.com/autotools/

Sorry if this was obvious and you've already done that.

--- David A. Wheeler