Re: Hierarchical autoconf project with cross-compiled subproject

From: Wookey
Subject: Re: Hierarchical autoconf project with cross-compiled subproject
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 21:25:45 +0000

+++ panic [2016-01-26 20:45 +0000]:
> How to correctly handle a cross-compiled subproject in autoconf/-tools?

Well, the short version is that you are working against the design and
making your life difficult. Having a project which is then either all
compiled or all cross-compiled is what everything expects, so even with
the co-dependencies I'd still think that it was easier to package the
parts independently of the target architecture in the normal way, then
build the pieces for the arches required.

However it is possible to cross-builds parts of a project (e.g gcc
bootstrap) so I expect what you want to do can be arranged. I have
never actually tried to do what you are aiming for.

> /After this long introduction, finally to the yet unsolved problem/:
> When `make install-strip' is run, `make' runs recursively through the
> directories and calls
>  /bin/mkdir -p '/the/install/dir'
>  STRIPPROG='strip' /bin/bash /to/project/build-aux/install-sh -c -s \
>                                thebinary '/the/install/dir'
>
> This fails for the subproject, because to strip a cross-compiled ELF
> file, `$host-strip' (here: avr-strip) would be needed instead of normal
> `strip'.

One way is to make sure that $host-strip works both natively and
cross. (i.e you have a link for amd64-strip or arm64-strip or whatever
the non-avr arch is.). Then just calling $host-strip (e.g. by setting
STRIPPROG) works in both cases.

I don't know if there is a more autotoolsy way of dealing with this.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/