Re: Autoconf can't find X11 libraries

From: Earnie
Subject: Re: Autoconf can't find X11 libraries
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 16:55:48 -0500

On 1/24/2016 7:12 PM, Thomas Dickey wrote:

> hmm.  I started a while back by tweaking the configure script, and noticed
> Martin's tree, made a copy of _that_, and eliminated most of the unnecessary
> stuff.  Since I'm not going to publish _that_ tree (I maintain ncurses), it
> would be of limited use.
>
> So (referring to PDCurses 3.4)
> this line in the configure script is the problem:
>
>       mh_lib_dirs="$x_libraries `echo "$ac_x_includes $ac_x_header_dirs" |
> sed s/include/lib/g`"

lib is the correct substitution since it represents the native build
environment.  If you're on a 64bit build environment then lib represents
the 64bit libraries.  If you're on a 32bit build environment the lib
represents the 32bit libraries.

> The problem is that 64-bit machines nowadays generally use lib64 - not lib,
> as the script assumes.  When I tweaked it by hand, I just edited that line.
>
>       mh_lib_dirs="$x_libraries `echo "$ac_x_includes $ac_x_header_dirs" |
> sed s/include/lib64/g`"

And this is just the wrong thing to do.  If you have a 32bit build
system then you want to cross-compile for the 64bit host.  Then you
don't need to worry which bit set the lib directory contains.

--
Earnie