Re: Autoconf can't find X11 libraries

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: Autoconf can't find X11 libraries
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 05:19:50 -0500

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 02:05:49PM +0300, anatoly techtonik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In this build on Ubuntu x86_64 autoconf is unable to find X11
> libraries:
>     https://travis-ci.org/techtonik/PDCurses/builds/101477536
> However, it works with explicit configure option
>     --x-libraries=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
>     https://travis-ci.org/techtonik/PDCurses/builds/101506738
>
> It looks like the problem is PDCurses specific
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/539574/how-to-install-xaw-package-with-header-files/578003
> probably because people rarely use Xaw. Anyway, how to fix
> it? Is it an autoconf bug?

no - it is a bug in PDCurses' configure script, which assumes that the
libraries are in a directory "../lib" relative to the location of the
X headers.

You might find this to be useful:

        http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/users/agmartin/pdcurses.git/

Before noticing this, I would simply build PDCurses with a quick fix
for its configure script bug.  (Actually now I build it using Martin's
version plus some further fixes -- I use that for test-builds, e.g.,
of lynx, dialog).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net