Re: Autoconf can't find X11 libraries

From: anatoly techtonik
Subject: Re: Autoconf can't find X11 libraries
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 10:11:47 +0300

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 1:19 PM, Thomas Dickey <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 02:05:49PM +0300, anatoly techtonik wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In this build on Ubuntu x86_64 autoconf is unable to find X11
>> libraries:
>>     https://travis-ci.org/techtonik/PDCurses/builds/101477536
>> However, it works with explicit configure option
>>     --x-libraries=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
>>     https://travis-ci.org/techtonik/PDCurses/builds/101506738
>>
>> It looks like the problem is PDCurses specific
>> http://askubuntu.com/questions/539574/how-to-install-xaw-package-with-header-files/578003
>> probably because people rarely use Xaw. Anyway, how to fix
>> it? Is it an autoconf bug?
>
> no - it is a bug in PDCurses' configure script, which assumes that the
> libraries are in a directory "../lib" relative to the location of the
> X headers.

Thank for clarification. The ./configure script is autogenerated  - at
least this is said in headers
"Generated by GNU Autoconf 2.61 for PDCurses 3.4."
So, is it a bug in Autoconf?

> You might find this to be useful:
>
>         http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/users/agmartin/pdcurses.git/

I see only two patches, one of which is said to be fixed upstream
https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/users/agmartin/pdcurses.git/tree/debian/patches
I can't extract the solution for complication problem from them.

> Before noticing this, I would simply build PDCurses with a quick fix
> for its configure script bug.  (Actually now I build it using Martin's
> version plus some further fixes -- I use that for test-builds, e.g.,
> of lynx, dialog).

Can you clarify how to fix this configure script? Looks like the file that
should be fixed is
https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/users/agmartin/pdcurses.git/tree/configure.ac
but I don't understand its semantics well enough to find the
problem myself.

Thanks.