Automatic autoheader invocations for AC_DEFINE changes in m4-files

From: Marko Lindqvist
Subject: Automatic autoheader invocations for AC_DEFINE changes in m4-files
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 22:10:31 +0200

 We are in the middle of transition from one config header to model of
two config headers. The goal is that the new one will contain only
such macros that it can be safely #included by another project
(assuming another autotools using project, but it shouldn't really
matter)
 Template for the full header continues to be generated by autoheader,
while the "public" one is using hand-written template. Each macro
included to the public header should have same prefix in their name to
have them all in the same namespace and not to conflict with similar
macros from other projets.

 Typical patch in this development:
 1) Adds an entry to the public header template
 2) Changes name of the macro in AC_DEFINE to give it correct prefix
 3) Updates references to the macro in source files to use the new name

 We have had no problems with patches that do that for macros
AC_DEFINEd in configure.ac. When one runs 'make', both the full and
public header are correctly generated.
 However, when the macro in question in one patch was AC_DEFINEd in a
separate m4-file, 'make' was not enough at all. Template for the full
header did not update until manual autoreconf.

 It's nice that nowadays configure gets automatically regenerated when
m4-file changes, but it seems that autoheader invocations are still
not happening the same way.

 Is there something we can/should do ourselves, or is this to be
considered use-case that is not yet supported by autotools?

 - ML