Re: Automatic autoheader invocations for AC_DEFINE changes in m4-files

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: Automatic autoheader invocations for AC_DEFINE changes in m4-files
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 13:51:59 -0700

On 02/10/2016 01:10 PM, Marko Lindqvist wrote:
>  We have had no problems with patches that do that for macros
> AC_DEFINEd in configure.ac. When one runs 'make', both the full and
> public header are correctly generated.
>  However, when the macro in question in one patch was AC_DEFINEd in a
> separate m4-file, 'make' was not enough at all. Template for the full
> header did not update until manual autoreconf.

This is more of an automake question than an autoconf one (since it is
automake that generates the make rules for what needs to be rebuilt
when).  Do you have AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([...]) in your configure.ac,
pointing to the location of your .m4 files?  Likewise, in your
Makefile.am, do you have ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS = -I path/to/m4?  I've found in
my projects that both places are needed to inform automake that it must
generate proper dependency tracking so that a change to a .m4 file
forces an automatic autoreconf.