Re: Automake shooting in its foot

From: Alexandre Oliva
Subject: Re: Automake shooting in its foot
Date: 24 Jan 2001 12:09:56 -0200

On Jan 24, 2001, Akim Demaille <address@hidden> wrote:

> So to run a hook you need to insert something *inside* the pro/epi
> pair.

Only if the macro is AC_DEFUNed.  In which case, we might attempt to
match pro/epi in the defn and insert the hooks before/after the actual
DEFUN, i.e., between pro and epi.

> Finally, let me state things clearly: I'm doing this to help people
> proceed with their bad habits, but from the beginning I was against
> hooking on AC_PROG_CC etc.

It was the only way to achieve a design decision in automake
(automatic dependency tracking) and libtool (automatic compiler
configuration).  Sorry you didn't like it.  But unless autoconf
supplies clean manners to do what is needed, people (myself included,
or should I say especially myself) will find ways around the
limitations.

> In fact, I am still against generic hooks because that's a bad thing
> to do.  Nobody where ever imagine doing this in another programming
> language.

Except those insane folks that came up with OO, right? :-)

Red Hat GCC Developer                  address@hidden, redhat.com}
CS PhD student at IC-Unicamp        address@hidden, gnu.org}