Why does "make distclean" rerun autoconf?

From: Mo DeJong
Subject: Why does "make distclean" rerun autoconf?
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2001 19:27:34 -0800 (PST)

Hi all.

After running "make distclean" on a big project
I found myself quite miffed at the fact that
it reran the whole configure process
(which takes a long time) before executing the
distclean rule.

Does anyone else think that is a little silly?
I think this problem still shows up in the CVS
version of automake. Any idea how to fix it?

Currently, I just blow away my build dir
if this happens (after a cvs update). If
someone ran ./configure in the src dir
that would not really be an option.

thanks
Mo DeJong