Re: preferred directory layout

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: preferred directory layout
Date: 06 Mar 2001 14:51:26 -0700

>>>>> "Kevin" == Kevin Walsh <address@hidden> writes:

Kevin> What is the preferred source directory layout for projects
Kevin> using automake+autoconf+libtool when maintaining multiple
Kevin> platform-specific implementations of the same interfaces?

There isn't a single standard, but there are a few choices that will
work better than others.

One is to use AC_LINK_FILES to give your platform-specific file a
standard name at configure time.  libgcj uses this approach.

Kevin> The current layout is something like this:
Kevin> /common
Kevin>   bar.cpp
Kevin>   bar.h
Kevin>   foo.h
Kevin> /posix
Kevin>   foo.cpp
Kevin> /win32
Kevin>   foo.cpp
Kevin> /cygwin
Kevin>   foo.cpp

With 1.4d (or cvs) automake you can probably use this directly using
conditionals and just listing the source files in _SOURCES.

Kevin> Or do you need to use libtool convenience libraries (I'd like
Kevin> to avoid that -- I don't think it would be portable to win32)?

You could use convenience libraries but that is really overkill for
this.

Tom