Re: `missing' needs patch for Ultrix4.4

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: `missing' needs patch for Ultrix4.4
Date: 19 Mar 2001 14:05:48 +0100

Akim Demaille <address@hidden> wrote:

| Jim> | prog=$1 | shift | "$prog" "$@"
|
| Jim> His suggested change didn't have double quotes around $prog.
| Jim> Besides, if you do use double quotes around it, as you've
| Jim> written, above, then Ultrix4.4's /bin/sh fails in exactly the
| Jim> same way as if you'd used "$@".
|
| Can it be again one of these problems related to the 8th bit?
|
| Still, there is one important question raised by your patch: does it
| work properly when passed `bison -y' as $1? (Actually, I don't know if

It looks like it'll work just fine as long as you don't
put quotes around `bison -y'.

  $ printf '%%%%\na:\n%%%%\n' > j.y
  $ sh missing --run bison -y j.y
  $

| the invocation makes `bison -y' be $1, or if `bison' and `-y' are
| already split.  If the latter, then fine, we have found a workaround.
|
| Still, I wonder to what extend what you found means we should change
| all the place where we invoke `"$@"' as command line.  The only
| restriction is wrt $1 being `:'?

Hmm... at first I thought it was independent of the actual value,
but just tested it and see that it may indeed be specific to `:':

  $ p=:
  $ "$p"
  ยบ: not found
  $ p=echo