Re: How to find dependencies in non-standard ways?

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: How to find dependencies in non-standard ways?
Date: 19 May 2001 23:03:30 -0600

>>>>> "Pontus" == Pontus Lidman <address@hidden> writes:

Pontus> I'm having a problem with my idl files. Dependencies in them
Pontus> can not be found automatically by automake it seems. I'd like
Pontus> in some way to specify to automake how to automatically find
Pontus> dependencies.

There's no way to do this right now as a user.  Well, you could do it
by duplicating a lot of the automake Makefile machinery.  That is
likely to be a big pain though.

Pontus> The problem is this; by default make will try to process an
Pontus> idl file foo.idl, and immediatly after compile it. But if
Pontus> foo.idl includes bar.idl, then the generated foo.cc and foo.hh
Pontus> will have a dependency on bar.cc and bar.hh.

Won't foo.cc and foo.hh depend on bar.idl, not bar.cc?  I thought the
IDL compiler would read the .idl files and not the .cc files.

Direct IDL support would probably be a useful addition to automake.
There have been discussions of this in the past, and some patches
(which I admit I haven't read).  I don't think this will go in 1.5,
but it would probably be appropriate for the next major release.  I'm
guessing it will be somewhat of a pain due to the wide variance
between IDL compilers.

Tom