Re: Copying build results to another directory

From: Tim Van Holder
Subject: Re: Copying build results to another directory
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 21:17:57 +0200

> If I used them where they lay, I'd have to write something like this:
>
> foo_LDADD = $(top_srcdir)/src/lib/bar1/bar1.la \
>             $(top_srcdir)/src/lib/bar1/bar2.la \
>             $(top_srcdir)/src/lib/bar1/bar3.la \
>
> Which would require all those hard coded paths.

True, but since you're in control of the source (and build) tree,
that isn't a problem, now is it?  Plus, all makes will handle those
full paths as dependencies, while probably only GNU make will
try to expand a '-lfoo' dependency (and even then it'll only look
in the standard dirs, not in your build tree).  So using the full
paths has distinct advantages.

I think you're better off building everything in place; a
  make install DESTDIR=<top_builddir>
could then be used to distribute binaries to <t_bd>/bin, <t_bd>/lib,
etc.