automake 1.6.2 - some problems

From: Patrik Weiskircher
Subject: automake 1.6.2 - some problems
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 09:46:07 +0200

Hello,

I recently started using autoconf and automake.
So i updated to the current version.
Its autconf 2.53 and automake 1.6.2.

Everything works fine (after you get used to autoconf and automake ;))
But i encounter one strange problem.

In the configure.in file, I AC_SUBST the var. PLUGINDIR.
It contains just "$libdir/programname".
Now i got some plugins, where i wish that automake installs them into PLUGINDIR.
In the first plugin, lets call it stdout, I wrote this line into the
Makefile.am:
libdir = $(PLUGINDIR)
Everything works fine.
No problems at all. The lib goes into $prefix/lib/programname.
Then, the second plugin.
I copied the Makefile.am. Just changed the source files.
This time, the library goes into $prefix/lib.
I inspected the Makefile.in and the Makefile itself.

It does this:
Makefile.in:
@address@hidden = $(LIBDIR)/programname
libdir = @libdir@

Makefile:
libdir = $(PLUGINDIR)
libdir = ${exec_prefix}/lib

I honestly don't know what the problem is.
The 2 Makefile.am's look exactly the same.
There are just 2 differences.
In the working one, i got if ENABLE_STDOUT and the source files are stdout.c
and stdout.h
In the second one, which doesnt work, i got if ENABLE_MYSQL and the source
files are mysql.c and mysql.h.
I get ENABLE_MYSQL and ENABLE_STDOUT via configure.in.

AC_ARG_ENABLE([mysql],[  --disable-mysql  disable mysql
plugin],[enable_mysql=no],[enable_mysql=yes])
AC_ARG_ENABLE([stdout],[  --disable-stdout  disable stdout
plugin],[enable_stdout=no],[enable_stdout=yes])

AM_CONDITIONAL(ENABLE_MYSQL, test x"$enable_mysql" = "xyes")
AM_CONDITIONAL(ENABLE_STDOUT, test x"$enable_stdout" = "xyes")

how can this happen?
is this a bug?
can somebody help me? ;)

Best Regards,